First Baptist Church Sheridan, Texas
Statement of Faith
The Bible says… “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life,…” (I John 5:13). God wants us to know that we can go to heaven, but we must do it God’s way. First of all, we are all sinners. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23) Because of our sin we are all under the penalty for sin. “For the wages of sin is death…” (Romans 6:23) This penalty means eternal separation from God in an eternal Hell. However, God does not want anyone to go to Hell, so He sent His only Son to die and pay the penalty for our sins. ” But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8) God’s love is so great that He made a way for our sins to be forgiven. He offers His forgiveness and salvation freely. ” …but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23) God offers Heaven as a gift, purchased with His blood on the cross. But, like all gifts, it is not your until you receive it. Here is how you can receive Christ. ” That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” (Romans 10:9) You must believe in your heart and call on the Lord to save you. ” For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
- The verbal inspiration of the Bible, equally in all parts and without error in its origin, and preserved for present authoritative use in the King James Bible.
- The one God, eternally existent Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, who created man by a direct, immediate act, and the world from nothing.
- The pre-existence, absolute deity, incarnation, virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, substitutionary death, bodily resurrection, ascension to Heaven, and premillenial second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The personality of the Holy Spirit, one with God, who was present in Creation, restrains the evil one, convicts the world, bears witness to the Gospel, is active in the new birth, and seals, indwells, guides, teaches, sanctifies, and helps believers.
- The personality of Satan, the deceived god of this age, author of the powers of evil, who was defeated at the Cross and will be eternally judged in the Lake of Fire.
- The perfect creation of the world in six days, the curse at the fall of man, his present depraved nature and willful sinning, the need of regeneration on the basis of grace alone by the Holy Spirit bringing repentance, and of faith in the finished work of Christ alone, giving public evidence in baptism and newness of life: the resurrection of all to life or damnation.
- The divine establishment of marriage and the home as an emblem of the union of Christ and His church, with primary responsibility for training of children; of civil government for the benefit and preservation of good order in human society, to be honored, prayed for and obeyed except when contradicting Scriptural commands; and of the local church as an independent body of immersed believers in Jesus Christ, living a life of righteous works, separated from the world, witnessing of His saving grace, governed by pastor and deacons with Scriptural qualifications, observing the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, and exercising the gifts, rights, and privileges invested in them by His Word.
- The local church is a congregation of immersed believers, associated by a covenant of faith and fellowship of the Gospel, observing the ordinances of Christ, governed by His laws, and exercising the gifts, rights and privileges invested in them by His Word; that its officers are pastors and deacons with qualifications whose claims and duties are clearly defined in the Scriptures.